Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What doesn't kill you

In the back of my mind is the quote, "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger." I believe I got that saying from one of the physicians with whom I have practiced for the last eight years. Given the past two years I am hoping that it is true.

This hope comes for two reasons. The first is that the past two years have almost killed me. I have never found the practice of medicine to be so difficult. As I have often alluded to the practice of medicine seems to be changing. Many patients seem to believe that medicine can do everything including make them beautiful, skinny, and happy and all at the same time. While I don't Check Spellingdisagree that ugliness, obesity and depression are diseases, they are not the only ones that I was taught to treat and no one taught me a therapy that would negate patient responsibility where their cure is concerned. Also while medicine has always been an art and a science it has now become big business as well with the physician patient relationship a mere by product rather than the center of this enterprise.

All that said, I am leaving private practice. At least for now. BEFORE it kills me. Practicing as an OB hospitalist will take its toll too but for few days each month. Once I catch my breath, who knows. A.J. Cronin, Robin Cook, J. Michael Crichton, Atul Gawande look out!
What doesn't kill youSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: