Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Take the money and run

I called my health insurance carrier because I received a letter stating I was eligible to continue my health care coverage on an individual policy when my COBRA terminates in 2 months. It was mailed to my home address in Great Big State. With hope I called to initiate this conversion. After giving my name, social security number, and home address, I was told "you are not eligible."

"Well, then why does the letter say that I am eligible?" I replied.

"I don't know but you live in Big State. Any one who lives there is not eligible." said the voice on the other end of the line.

"Well your company mailed me this letter, to my home address in Big State. Did someone at your company think I did not live in Big State, I mean, I have been receiving bills and making payments from this address for the last 16 months?" I asked.

"I don't know about that but you are not eligible, I don't care what the letter you have says."

Who do I believe? The person who mailed the letter or the one on the telephone. I can tell you this, after searching for health insurance for over a year, there is not an honest person out there associated with an insurance company. The insurance industry holds are the cards and the Affortable Health Care Act dealt them a sweet hand. While health care is now becoming a requirement, I am not sure it is something the middle class will be able to afford.

Until this country is ready to do something about the insurance industry who has the largest lobby in both Washington DC and your local state house, they will continue to take our money and work hard not to pay for care.
Take the money and runSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: