Saturday, August 4, 2007

Why blog?

While I began this endeavor of a daily blog on a whim, the more I write, the more I find myself committed to continuing. So if you have happened on to these pages by accident or you have been invited here by myself or someone that you know, today, I am going to share some of my purpose for writing.

My goal is to spend an hour each morning, Monday through Saturday writing. While I have kept journals before, I have never had any discipline or routine. You, my audience, will give me what I have never had before which is accountability.

My primary purpose is to share what life is and has been like for me as "the Local MD." Using the letters that my medical degree permits me to add after my name will not limit these pages to the moments of my life in which I am practicing medicine. The title does mean that being a physician is so much a part of who I am that it now colors ever other aspect of my existence. I do not always find this beneficial.

As human beings I am confident that more aspects of our lives join us than issues we encounter divide us. There is much that we as human beings hold in common. For me, growing up in small town Texas, reading was my first glimpse outside my own sphere. The many books that I read in my youth not only entertained me but they informed me about a world much greater and very different from my own. In some part my desire to write comes from an appreciation for those who have written so that I might read.

As a group, I have found physicians very reticent to share their deepest thoughts. When physicians blog it is usually about research or to complain about some aspect of the insurance industry. Those are worthy topics but not as interesting for me as more personal aspects of practicing medicine.

For the past several years I have been inspired by some in the religious community. Within this group of mainline clergy, many younger than myself, I have found a refreshing honesty with each other and with those outside their vocation. This has challenged me to take a step back and look with as much critical vision as I can muster at who I am and what I do. I find this not only essential in my caring for patients but in caring for myself as well.
Why blog?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: